This is how we're responding in Christchurch.
Christchurch City Council has committed to becoming net carbon neutral (net zero greenhouse emissions) by 2030 for the Council's activities.
For the district as a whole, Christchurch has set the bold target of achieving net zero greenhouse emissions by 2045 (excluding methane), and to halve emissions by 2030 compared with 2016-17 levels.
The Council is working in many ways towards these goals, including:
- Transport and cycleway projects
- The Zilch electric vehicle fleet
- Sustainable Living education courses
- Waste minimisation and recycling projects
- Energy-efficient LED street light replacement
Details can be found on the council website.