How reliable is this information?
Climate change is, by its very nature, an evolving science. As scientists research and learn more, the modelling is updated. Here, we are reporting the latest information we have about the levels of risk Waitaha/Canterbury will face, based on information from our own scientists and from other leading New Zealand agencies.
We believe it is reasonable, but it's important to understand that this is all based on scientific modelling and research. If things change we will update our website and, if you've signed up to keep in touch, we'll let you know.
The sources for this website include:
- Canterbury Climate Change Risk Assessment summary report (Tonkin + Taylor, 2022) (PDF, 3.3mb)
- Canterbury Climate Change Risk Assessment technical report (Tonkin + Taylor, 2022) (PDF, 12.2mb)
- Climate change projections for the Canterbury region (NIWA, 2020) (PDF, 16.5mb)
- Canterbury climate change risk screening interim report (Tonkin + Taylor, 2020) (PDF, 1.8mb)
- Climate change adaptation actions being undertaken by local authorities in Canterbury (Environment Canterbury, 2020) (PDF, 687kb)
- Coastal Hazards and Climate Change – Guidance for Local Government (Ministry for the Environment, 2017) (PDF, 12.1mb)
- Te tāhū o te whāriki – Anchoring the foundation (Te Rūnunga o Ngāi Tahu, 2018) (PDF, 7.5mb)
- Urutau, ka taurikura: Kia tū pakari a Aotearoa i ngā huringa āhuarangi – Adapt and thrive: Building a climate-resilient New Zealand: Aotearoa New Zealand's First National Adaptation Plan (Ministry for the Environment, 2022) (PDF, 7.0mb)
- National Climate Change Risk Assessment for New Zealand – Arotakenga Tūraru mō te Huringa Āhuarangi o Āotearoa: main and technical reports (Ministry for the Environment, 2020)
- Our atmosphere and climate 2020 (Ministry for the Environment & Stats NZ, 2020)*
- Stats NZ environmental indicators
*This work uses material sourced from the Ministry for the Environment, Stats NZ, and data providers, which is licensed by the Ministry for the Environment and Stats NZ for re-use under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International licence.